Things may be different IF:
- All of the people that voted in this EU referendum also voted in the last general election. It seems like a lot of people only voted leave just so they can “stick it to the government”.
- The remain parties campaigned more to stay in the EU. Maybe the remain camp really thought the public wouldn’t vote out.
- David Cameron didn’t have a track record for going back on his word.
- The public weren’t getting mixed messages: some of the public thought we’d be better off financially as individuals in the EU, but some of the public saw it the other way around if we were to leave the EU.
- Politics was taught in schools. We the public would have a greater understanding of how these institutions and agreements work.